Book Review: A Return to Virtue





Let's start with a little introduction of the author. Those of you who are not LDS may not know Elaine S. Dalton. She is one of my role models. She is such an amazing woman! She served as Young Women general president in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (my church). The LDS Young Women organization is for girls 12-18. It basically involves Sunday School classes, a weekly activity and service, and setting personal goals of prayer, scripture study, and building values to bring yourself unto Christ. Going to Young Womens meetings was the highlight of my youth. [I'll take this moment to encourage you (if you have a daughter 12-18 or you are 12-18) to contact your local Mormon (LDS) bishop or find a mormon girl at your school and find when their weekly activities/service are in your area... and attend! It will be so uplifting for you and all are welcome!]

This book is written primarily for teens, but I felt a great connection to it as an adult as well. I found it very meaningful and it really explained well the feelings I had always had about virtue but didn't really know how to express.

Let's get to the quotes. This book is chalk-full of excellent paragraphs! I was highlighting like crazy as I read it! Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
"And so I have embarked on a journey to reinstate the word virtue into our vocabulary and our lives, and to reinstate the core meaning of the word, which is purity and power. I believe that purity- yes, virtue- yields power....the power that comes of confidence." (Elaine S. Dalton A Return To Virtue, introduction)



"There is no strength that is greater than the strength of virtue, nor any confidence that is more sure than the confidence of a virtuous life." (Elaine S. Dalton A Return To Virtue, pg 9)

"I truly believe that one virtuous woman or man, led by the Spirit, can change the world!" (Elaine S. Dalton A Return To Virtue, pg 14)

"...even though you do not understand all things, you know that He does." (Elaine S. Dalton A Return To Virtue, pg 117)







I encourage everyone to read this book, whether you share my beliefs or not. I agree with what Elaine S. Dalton said in the book:
"We live in a world that is concerned with cleanliness and purity... yet society tolerates moral pollution...we tolerate filth that invades our minds...I believe that the lack of virtue in our society is directly responsible for many of our social, financial, and governmental ills. I believe that the disintegration of faith and families...are directly related to a lack of virtue in our society. And I believe that a return to virtue could save an entire nation." (Elaine S. Dalton A Return To Virtue, pg 11)

VIRTUE is huge to me. It is a huge part of my personal faith, and a huge part of who I am. You're probably going to hear a bit more from me on the subject, because I believe it is that important.

This book is one that lifts and inspires. Even if you don't share all my beliefs, I'm sure those of you that maintain to be sexual pure before marriage (like I did) can relate to this book, and pick up snippets of encouragement that will help you keep your goal. You are doing an amazing thing by remaining virtuous. It is not easy! Thank you for being the change you want to see in the world, and setting an example for those around you.

Those who have returned to virtue (or those who want to return) you inspire me. It takes great courage to turn to the Savior return to a virtuous life. Thank you for being a powerful example of strength and the importance of virtue.

And for those who don't share any of my beliefs about virtue and remaining pure... thank you for reading this post! Thank you for being respectful and understanding as I let my faith show in the ways I know how.

But at that, I'll leave you with my final review of the book. Five thumbs up all around! Read this book, I highly recommend it!















I am a Mormon: To learn more about what I believe, visit THIS site, or read THIS post.

Share:

1 comments

/*!Magnific Popup