Theme for 2016



At the start of each new year I fill out a worksheet from Thirty Handmade Days. The first prompt of each is to pick a word for the new year. 

In 2014 my word was "CONFIDENT." I'm still working on this one, but I'll tell you I'm much more confident than I was in 2013! This was a huge help to get me outside my comfort zone, talking to more people, and working to overcome my shyness a little at a time.

In 2015 my word was "STABILITY." I had just started an antidepressant for my post-partum-depression. We had a new baby, a new home, my husband had a new job... basically 2014 was the year of newness and I wanted 2015 to be the year where I leveled out, knew how to manage my depression (as much as I could), and settle into my role as "mom." 

At the end of 2015 I feel very satisfied in how I have held to "STABILITY" this year. I have decreased my dose of my antidepressant (with the guidance of my doctor of course), gone to therapy, am more-settled in my life as a stay-at-home-mom, and our house feels like ours.


Now it's time to pick a word for 2016. I didn't have to debate this one. I didn't even have to think about it very hard. As soon as I looked at my worksheet for this year I knew what my word needed to be... my word for 2016 is "LESS".


This might seem like a strange choice. The word "less" often has a somewhat negative connotation. And I contemplated switching my word to the more positive end of the spectrum with "more," but that didn't sit right... so "LESS" stuck.



Here's what I mean by LESS.

I get so caught up in the day-to-day. I get sucked in by mindless scrolling on social media...worry about having material possessions... struggle with emotional eating...and struggle putting aside unimportant things to focus on what really matters. 2016 is the year where that changes.

1. LESS social-media: I'm a huge fan of social media, and feel like it can be a really good thing. But too often I find myself scrolling mindlessly, not paying attention to my child or husband, or spending time on social media that I don't really care about. Setting aside social-media time during the day will help me avoid using it during other times of the day when other things are more important.

2. LESS candy: I'm an emotional eater. I have been for as long as I can remember. And also for as long as I can remember I have struggled with my weight and my health. Candy is my kryptonite. It is my go-to when I'm struggling to deal with my emotions. When I eat candy though I feel tired, grumpy, my waves of depression are deeper, my face gets bloated and larger, and I'm less able to deal with my emotions. LESS candy is a key to a successful 2016.

3. LESS fear: I have a couple things that I have really felt drawn to do recently...so much so that I KNOW I need to do them... but fear is holding me back from even starting. 2016 is the year of LESS fear; I don't need to be afraid to try. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out, but at least I can say I gave it my best shot. We don't need to fear failure.

4. LESS stuff: I've always been a "things" kind of girl. I'm not one for clothes, or shoes, or even jewelry... but I can go to Target and spend a ton just on "stuff." Since I've been married, I've been trying really hard to budget... but it's still so hard for me. Making this year a focus on LESS stuff will be helpful in keeping me under budget and helping us save money for things that really matter in the future.

5. LESS in general: I'm tired, you guys! Aren't we all! Taking a step back this year, focusing on what really matters, learning to say "no" to the things that don't, and giving myself a break is going to really make a difference this 2016. I'm making 2016 the year of LESS by setting my sights on the important things and not worrying so much about the rest.



What's your word for 2016?



One of the things I AM focusing on this year is my 2016 Worthington Reading List. See it HERE.





Share:

0 comments

/*!Magnific Popup