Book Report: Atlantia by Ally Condie





Ever heard of Ally Condie? Does the name Matched ring any bells?? That's right! This amazing author is back with another YA Fiction book that will knock your socks off.


I'm sure we are all familiar with the story of Atlantis... The mystical city of mermaids that thrives under the salty ocean water. Well, what if Atlantis wasn't so unknowable after all? What if "the below" was an actual city, built by humans deep on the ocean floor after the earth became too polluted to survive "above." This is the story of Atlantia

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Though admittedly it took me a while to really feel like I understood and cared about the main character, Rio. But perhaps that's the point... Maybe we are supposed to see her as those in her city "below" see her- distant, separated, as if hiding something they cannot understand.



We are in an age filled with dystopian fantasy (you know... the kind where life as we know it ceases to exist and new governments are formed- there's something fascinating about that isn't there!) And this is another...but it is far different from many "others" that may come to mind when you think of apocalyptic literature.

As refreshing as the ocean itself, this book was so fun to read. I never imagined an underwater society quite like the one Condie created in this book- and that makes this book so fascinating. Oh and this book has sirens in it! yes sirens! I'm getting chills just thinking about it! A totally captivating and underused "creature" if you ask me!

I highly recommend this book. In fact I'm SO glad I bought it in hard copy so I can share it with everyone I know! As much as I loved her series Matched, I'm going to say something bold and say that I loved this book just as much... if not MORE!
And no, there aren't mermaids in this book... but I couldn't help myself! This quote is my life!








Thanks for reading books to yourself!


Linking up with Book Nook! & The Quarterly Reading Round Up


Share:

2 comments

  1. […] 3. I don’t talk about this part in the video, but I also really like where they visit Atlantis. It was the most fanciful part of the book, but it had all of us in book club wondering if Atlantis really could be real. It reminded me of the book I read recently called Atlantia by Ally Condie (You can see my review for that book HERE). […]

    ReplyDelete

/*!Magnific Popup